Blue 1 Class
Welcome to Blue 1!
Our teacher is Mrs Barwood
and our teaching assistant is Mrs Hill.
Year 2 are very busy in our last year at our school! In the morning we go to Maths groups to practise our number skills and learn about shape, measures, handling data and taking part in investigations! Then we go to Literacy groups and practise our reading and writing skills.In the afternoon Blue 1 get together and our teacher plans a creative curriculum, so that we can learn about different subject areas through our exciting topic! Before we go home, we have sessions of big maths, handwriting and spend time in our story area sharing books from our special author box.
Check out the links at the bottom for games, information and activities to link with what we are learning in Literacy, Maths and Topic.
Keep checking to see when we update our page with what we have been up to at school!
We have a special story time every day!
We share books by the same author, find out more about the author by researching, bring in things from home and talk lots about the stories we are reading.
Our author this term is....
Fascinating facts about this author...
Roald Dahl was a British novelist, short story writer, poet, fighter pilot and screenwriter. He was born in Wales to Norwegian parents, he served in the British Royal Air Force during World War II, in which he became a flying ace and intelligence officer, rising to the rank of wing commander. Dahl rose to prominence in the 1940s, with works for both children and adults, and became one of the world's best-selling authors. He has been referred to as "one of the greatest storytellers for children of the 20th century". In 2008 The Times placed Dahl 16th on its list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945". His short stories are known for their unexpected endings, and his children's books for their unsentimental, often very dark humour. Some of his notable works include James and the Giant Peach,Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The Witches, Fantastic Mr Fox, The Twits, George's Marvellous Medicine and The BFG.
Any information you find out or books you have by this author at home please bring in to share at school!
Check out Roald Dahl's website!
- Our reading folders should come to school every day but especially on reading day which is Friday.
- Spellings are given out in groups related to the sounds your child is learning that week as well as ‘red’ words which are words they need to learn as they cannot be decoded. Spelling books will usually be given out on a Friday and spellings tested on a Thursday. Please help your child learn these every week.
- Maths homework is given out in groups and is based on what your child is learning in school. This needs to be returned by the date set by the Group teacher. Any problems with homework please come and ask your child’s class or group teacher where possible.
- Extra homework tasks for topic will be updated and sent out to you to do at home together!
- PE days for Year 2 are on a Monday and Tuesday. Please make sure your child has their kit in school and that earrings are removed in the morning.
- Dinner money for the week should be paid for on a Monday morning.
- Library is on a Friday so we need to have our library books in our library bags on this day.
Thank you for visiting our class page, we hope we will see you again soon!