The primary aim of the Commando Joe's programme is to help develop essential life and character skills to young people. This links very closely to our school Attitudes Tree which encourages children to be cooperative, resilient, creative and empathetic.
In lessons, children are given different themed missions which they have to complete. This can include saving an endangered animal, collecting items for a trip to the jungle and crossing obstacle courses to save another team member!
The COJO Character Curriculum is based upon the following 4 principles -
1. Character development is a right for every child.
2. Character education will empower young people.
3. Character will inform the ethos, direction of learning and culture of the school.
4. Character should be developed in partnership with staff, pupils and parents.
The COJO Character for Learning programme will:
Provide a great foundation on which all children will get the chance to achieve, be resilient, tolerate others and make great choices for life - in and outside school.
This will be achieved through children:
- Accessing coherent, sequential learning
- Being inspired to do their best and have ambition to achieve
- Leading and being led to achieve outcomes
- Engaging in deep thinking to support their decision-making and action(s)
- Experiencing a wide range of relevant and exciting activity