Meet the staff in Reds
Mrs Woodhouse & Mrs Begum (Fridays)
Spring Term Curriculum Overview
We will be learning all about where we live and finding out local features such as the Sister Dora statue and the famous hippo in Walsall town centre!
Texts we will be looking at this term:
We have lots of fun in reception exploring, investigating and learning new skills.
In reception we have daily maths sessions where we solve problems and explore all different kinds of concepts.
We use lots of fun resources and enjoy getting up and involved and working with partners.
If you would like to continue learning at home, click on this picture and it will take you to an amazing maths website for children with lots of practical and easy activities for you to do at home!
We have daily phonics sessions in our own classes based on Storytime phonics. Watch the video to see how we help children to progress in phonics and develop a love for reading.
Ready to race?
We are introducing a new, fun way to practise reading and learning sight words.
In your child’s reading record, they will have their own ‘reading racing track’ with key words along the track. Please practise reading these words with your child until they are confident at reading them, on sight, quickly and fluently. Once they have learned a word, please use the parent side of the track to colour in or tick the pavement next to that word. The teacher will be reading these words with your child every week in class until they are confident with reading them. The teacher will then colour in the teacher side of the track and your child will move onto the next pit stop of the race with new words to learn. As your child reaches each new stage, they will receive a sticker and when they complete a full race track, they will receive a prize!
We will check reading racers during the week- make sure you child has their reading diary every day.
Reading Workshop (Part 1)
Reading Workshop (Part 2)
Have a go at these exciting activities!
Here are some important notes for our adults to remember!
- Our PE session is on a WEDNESDAY afternoon. Please send your child to school in their PE kits. Please ensure your child is wearing the correct PE uniform e.g. black joggers / leggings, plain white T-shirt and a plain black hooded top with trainers.
- ALL uniform and PE clothes need to be named alongside all jumpers, cardigans, coats and jackets that your child may wear for school. Please remember to remove any jewellery so your child can participate safely (if your child is wearing earrings they will not be able to participate for health and safety reasons).
- We will have forest school every third Tuesday. Please refer to the letter shared at the beginning of the year for your class, or speak to your class teacher. Your child will need to come to school in suitable clothing for outdoor learning on these days.
- We will change reading books during the week once the children have settled in (one new book per week). Please help yourself to one of our 1000 stories, which are put outside the classroom door every morning.
- Every child is entitled to a free school dinner – give them a try, they’re yummy! At the moment sandwiches are available so your child does not need a packed lunch. You can order these using the parent pay app.
- Library day will be on a Tuesday and your child will be able to choose a book from our Library bus. Your child must have a book bag.
- Your child should bring a named bottle of water to school.
- Reading racers will be checked every week (which can be found in your child's reading record).
Don't forget to have a look at our gallery throughout the year!