Welcome to Yellows!
Miss Ward, Miss Hewitt
Miss Eaton and Mrs Humpherson
Miss Heritage and Mrs Patel
Year 1 letters
Year 1 Parent Induction meeting
Curriculum Topic Webs 2020-21
- PE for Yellow classes are on a Tuesday Please make sure your child comes to school in their PE kit. Ensure you remove earrings on the morning.
- Our reading folders should come to school every day. Home reading books are changed on a Monday for all children in Year 1.
- Spellings are given out on a Friday, there will be a weekly spelling test every Thursday so please ensure your child has their spelling book in school.
- Homework activities are sent out at the start of each half term in a homework log. The logs will contain a list of suggested homework activities to complete over the half term. These will cover literacy, numeracy, science and topic areas.
- CHANGE TO HOMEWORK - homework will now be set via Google Classrooms on a weekly basis. We will upload each weeks homework log every Friday and we will expect the homework task to be completed and handed in by the following Monday. The log will contain what we are learning that week in English, Math's, Science and our topic area for that week e.g. history. Then there will be a task linked to the week's learning that you will need to provide evidence for. Please send us this task back via Google Classrooms. During Summer 1 half term we will also add a phonics activity. Many thanks for your support.
- Children should be aiming to read as much as possible at home in a range of ways such as home readers, library books, bug club or sharing stories from your local library.
Library books are changed on:
- Yellow 1 - Tuesday
- Yellow 2 - Wednesday
- Yellow 3 - Thursday
(we need to have our library books in our library bags on this day).
This half term we will be having lots of fun!
In Science we will be learning about the weather. We will describe different types of weather and create a weather log for a week. We will look at extreme weather that occurs all around the world. We will discuss the 4 seasons and how weather changes during the different seasons.
In History we will be exploring amazing inventors and inventions. We will be researching Grace Hopper and comparing her to Tim Berner's-Lee. We will explore her invention of the computer code and debugging.
In Geography we will be investigating amazing places in the UK and looking at extreme weather. We will be exploring the 'Portmeirion Village' in Wales and that Cardiff is the capital of Wales. We will be identifying key features in Portmeirion Village and using geographical language to refer to key man-made features. We will compare this area to our local community and other parts of the UK we have researched. We will also explore St George's day which is celebrated on Friday 23rd April.
In Design Technology we will be learning about nutrition. We will learn about a balanced diet, the food pyramid and how to make healthy choices. We will plan and make a healthy fruit salad. Finally we will evaluate our fruit salad to check it fit the purpose.
In music we will be working with Mr. Joseph! He will be joining us in sessions to listen to a variety of music and sharing our thoughts about the music styles will like and dislike. We will learn to understand the terms: rhythm, pitch and duration. We will perform simple patterns and keep a steady beat on tuned and untuned instruments.
In P.E we will be learning about invasion games. We will learn to move in different ways and different directions and at different speeds according to the game. We will learn to show control and co-ordination in our movements to avoid obstacles and work as a team to learn tactics.
In computing we will be learning about programming. We will learn to program a device e.g. a Beebot and use directional language. We will use clear instructions to create a set of instructions (algorithm)
Forest School sessions continue to be on hold until Summer 2. Further information to come.
'Commando Joes' - we will be character explorers and understand RESPECT - Resilience, Empathy, Self awareness, Passion, Excellence, Communication and Teamwork. Our focus will be resilience and learning how to solve simple problems. We will continue to learn how to self-regulate.
Homework will now be set via Google Classrooms on a weekly basis. Please see more information above in the 'Important' section. If you require any more information or help please speak to your child's class teacher. We are always happy to help.
Important dates for your diary:
Friday 23rd April 2021 - St George's day
Monday 3rd May 2021 - May day - school closed
Thursday 6th May 2021 - Voting day
Friday 28th May 2021 - Break up for half term