Welcome to Yellows!
Miss Dangerfield and Miss Barker
Miss Eaton and Miss Patel
Miss Hacking and Mrs Humpherson
Year 1 letters
Year 1 Parent Induction Meeting 2021.22
Curriculum Topic Webs 2021-22
- PE for Yellow classes are on a Thursday Please make sure your child comes to school in their PE uniform. Ensure you remove earrings on the morning.
- Our reading folders should come to school every day. Home reading books are changed on a Monday for all children in Year 1.
- Spellings are given out on a Friday, there will be a weekly spelling test every Friday so please ensure your child has their spelling book in school.
- Homework activities are sent out at the start of each half term in a homework log. The logs will contain a list of suggested homework activities to complete over the half term. These will cover literacy, numeracy, science and topic areas. Please record evidence for all the activities in the blue boxes.
- Children should be aiming to read as much as possible at home in a range of ways such as home readers, library books, bug club or sharing stories from your local library.
Library books are changed on:
- Yellow 1 - Wednesday
- Yellow 2 - Thursday
- Yellow 3 - Tuesday
(this will be on a 2 week basis)
(we need to have our library books in our library bags on this day).
This half term we will be having lots of fun!
In Science we will be learning about materials. We will label and identify a variety of everyday materials. We will explore magnets and metals and learn to sort materials according to their properties.
In History we will be exploring amazing inventors and inventions. We will be researching John Logie Baird and how his invention of the television made an impact on world history. We will look back at the history of televisions and how they have developed over time.
In Geography we will be investigating Northern Ireland. We will explore the capital city of Belfast. We will discuss key physical features of the Giant's Causeway. We will compare this area to our local area sharing similarities and differences and to Seilebost Beach and Ben Nevis in Scotland.
In Design Technology we will be exploring sliders, wheels and axles. We will understand the purpose of the slider and create our own!
In music we will be working with Mr. Joseph! He will be joining us in sessions to listen to a variety of music and sharing our thoughts about the music styles will like and dislike. We will learn to play instruments and visit the music hub in the Junior school! We will learn and sing a variety of songs. We will use musical terms e.g rhythm, beat, pulse, tempo.
In P.E we will be learning about our bodies and the different shapes we can make using different body parts. We will show control and co-ordination in our moves. We will learn to hold a balance for up to 5 seconds. We will learn how to sequence our moves into a pattern and perform this to others sharing what we think we did well and what we would do better next time.
In computing we will be working with Miss. Hall! We will learn about drawing app's to create backgrounds and learn how to mould a character on the app Sculpt. We will learn begin using our new chromebooks during lessons!
Forest School sessions will continue with Mr. Gordon - please see the enrichment timetable in the letters above for when your child's class will need to dress in their P.E uniform.
'Commando Joes' - we will be character explorers and understand RESPECT - Resilience, Empathy, Self awareness, Passion, Excellence, Communication and Teamwork. Our focus will be teamwork, empathy and resilience. We will learn how to embrace differences, to listen to different opinions and to select appropriate equipment to succeed in challenges.
Important dates for your diary:
Tuesday 4th January - Training Day (School closed to children)
Friday 7th January - Spring 1 homework to go out
Monday 10th January - Bright Sparks (morning club for selected children) to start (8:30)
Friday 14th January - In school activities to celebrate World Religion Day
Monday 31st January to Friday 4th February - Story telling Week
Tuesday 1st February to Thursday 3rd February - Chinese New year
Tuesday 8th February - Safer Internet Day
Friday 11th February - National Inventors Day
Wednesday 16th February and Thursday 17th February - Parents Evenings
Friday 18th February - Non-Uniform Day for Last day of half term (£1 donation)