Welcome to Yellows!
Miss Ward, Miss Hewitt
Miss Eaton and Mrs Humpherson
Miss Heritage and Mrs Patel
Year 1 letters
Year 1 Parent Induction meeting
Curriculum Topic Webs 2020-21
- PE for Yellow classes are on a Tuesday Please make sure your child comes to school in their PE kit. Ensure you remove earrings on the morning.
- Our reading folders should come to school every day. Home reading books are changed on a Monday for all children in Year 1.
- Spellings are given out on a Friday, there will be a weekly spelling test every Thursday so please ensure your child has their spelling book in school.
- Homework activities are sent out at the start of each half term in a homework log. The logs will contain a list of suggested homework activities to complete over the half term. These will cover literacy, numeracy, science and topic areas.
- Children should be aiming to read as much as possible at home in a range of ways such as home readers, library books, bug club or sharing stories from your local library.
Library books are changed on:
- Yellow 1 - Tuesday
- Yellow 2 - Wednesday
- Yellow 3 - Thursday
(we need to have our library books in our library bags on this day).
This half term we will be having lots of fun!
In Science we will be learning about materials. We will explore a variety of materials and their properties. We will be sorting materials and exploring magnets, if materials are magnetic or non magnetic.
In History we will be exploring amazing inventors and inventions. We will be researching John Logie Baird. We will explore how televisions have changed over time.
In Geography we will be investigating amazing places in the UK and looking at extreme weather. We will be exploring the 'Giant's Causeway' in Northern Ireland. We will be identifying key features and discussing the physical features. We will compare this areas to our local community, Seilebost Beach and Ben Nevis in Scotland.
In Design Technology we will be looking at sliders, wheels and axles. We will learn about how sliders work and create one of our own. We will explore wheels and axles in preparation for an investigation in the summer term
In music we are very lucky to have Mr. Joseph for a week! He will be completing a music project with us! Watch this space!
In P.E we will be learning about shapes we can make with our bodies (gymnastics). We will explore movement and balances on the floor and on some apparatus.
In computing we will be learning about broadcasting. We will listen to a wide range of audio recordings, some prerecorded, some live. We will create our own class audio using our voices and listening to our recordings to give an opinion.
Forest School sessions are on hold until Spring 2. Further information to come.
'Commando Joes' - we will be character explorers and understand RESPECT - Resilience, Empathy, Self awareness, Passion, Excellence, Communication and Teamwork. Our focus will be resilience and learning how to solve simple problems. We will continue to learn how to self-regulate.
Important dates for your diary:
Monday 4th January 2021 - Staff training day
Thursday 7th January 2021 - Nasal flu vaccine (catch ups only)
Week commencing 18th January 2021 - Parents evenings
Thursday 21st January 2021 - World Religion Day
Friday 22nd January 2021 - School photographs
Week commencing 1st February 2021 - Storytelling week and music project with Mr. Joseph
Tuesday 9th February 2021 - Safer Internet Day
Thursday 11th February 2021 - National Inventors Day
Friday 12th February 2021 - Chinese new year (Year of the Ox)