Welcome to Yellows!
Miss Ward, Mrs Edwards and Miss Cheema
Miss Eaton and Mrs Collins
Miss Heritage and Mrs Patel
- PE for Yellow classes are on a Monday so please make sure your child has a PE kit in school and remove earrings on the morning before.
- Our reading folders should come to school every day. Home reading books are changed on a Monday for all children in Year 1.
- Spellings are given out in groups and these are given on a Friday, there will be a weekly spelling test every Thursday so please ensure your child has their spelling book in school.
- Homework activities are sent out at the start of each half term in a homework log. The logs will contain a list of suggested homework activities to complete over the half term. These will cover literacy, numeracy and topic areas.
- Children should be aiming to read as much as possible at home in a range of ways such as home readers, library books, bug club or sharing stories from your local library.
Library books are changed on:
- Yellow 1 - Tuesday
- Yellow 2 - Wednesday
- Yellow 3 - Thursday
(we need to have our library books in our library bags on this day).
This half term we will be having lots of fun!
In Science we will be learning about everyday materials: wood, plastic, glass, metal etc. We will distinguish between an object and the material from which it is made. We will describe the simple physical properties.
In History we will be exploring amazing inventors and inventions. We will be researching the following inspirational inventors: Alexander Graham Bell, Joseph Swan, Heath Robinson, John Logie Bard, Tim Berners Lee and Wallace and Gromit! We will invent and create our own invention (continues throughout the year).
In Geography we will be investigating amazing places in the UK and looking at extreme weather. We will be exploring the following areas: our local community, Seilebost beach (Scotland), Ben Nevis (Scotland), Giants Causeway (Ireland), London, Tower bridge, Stone Henge, Portmeirion Village (Wales) and take a quick visit to see Australia. We will be designing a travel brochure of our journey(continues throughout the year).
In Design Technology we will be looking at sliders. We will learn about what a slider is, when they are used and how we can make one. After making our product we will test it and evaluate our findings thinking about what went well and what we would change next time (continues throughout the year).
In music we will be listening to lots of different styles of music. We will use tuned and untuned instruments.
In P.E we will be travelling around a space at different speeds. We will travel in a variety of ways using different equipment. We will make stretched and tucked shapes. We will land, jump, leap and turn showing balance and control.
In computing we will be digital researchers and learn to research safely online using hyperlinks and navigating websites. We will begin to use green screen and create our own film!
We will continue our exciting Forest School sessions with our Forest Ranger Mr Gordon. We will re-enact a wild rumpus and make a Gruffalo crumble. The children's Forest School sessions are:
Yellow 1 - Wednesday 22nd January 2020 pm
Wednesday 29th January 2020 pm
Yellow 2 - Wednesday 8th January 2020 pm
Wednesday 15th January 2020 pm
Yellow 3 - Wednesday 5th February 2020 pm
Wednesday 12th February 2020 pm
We will continue 'Commando Joes' where the children will be character explorers and understand RESPECT - Resilience, Empathy, Self awareness, Passion, Excellence, Communication and Teamwork.
Important dates for your diary:
Monday 6th January 2020 - Training day
Tuesday 7th January 2020 - Children return to school
Wednesday 8th January 2020 - Multi Skills club starts
Friday 10th January 2020 - Autumn 2 homework prizes will be handed out
Monday 13th January 2020 - Beatz and Football clubs start
Spring 1 homework will be handed out
Thursday 23rd January 2020 - World religion day and National Handwriting day
Monday 3rd February - Friday 7th February 2020 - Storytelling week
Tuesday 11th February 2020 - English open morning
National Inventors day
Safer Internet day